Sunday, April 19, 2009

Weaving, weaving, weaving

It seems that the scarves I am making fall into one of two categories. First are the ones I call "Serendipity". These are very tactile and organic. They are a combination of fibers, textures and colors. And the second are, well, I am not quite sure what to call them.

I got my 12.5 dent reed in the mail last week and the finer fabric that it creates lends itself best to hand paints and sock yarns (in my opinion). The wild combinations of colors give me a giddy feeling in my belly as I watch the garment "unfold" before my very eyes.

A note about Dos Palomas I am shifting my etsy shop focus...In the beginning I opened an etsy account for the sole purpose of shopping the site and went with the same user name I have used for years: Myfinn. Once I decided to sell it didn't occur to me to change my user name or come up with a clever shop name. But after some time and experience I have learned a few things:

1. I think "My Finn" is a really lame shop name.
2. Most of the people who buy on etsy already knit and don't want to pay a premium for something they can make themselves.
3. My original shop had no artistic focus or brand identity, and I now have a better idea of where I want to go with this.
4. Well, I have got the weaving thing going for me now. And SO...

Enter Dos Palomas. My new shop once launched will be made up of mainly OOAK hand woven goods and knitting pattern PDFs. And the occasional hand-knotted strand of pearls :). It is going to take me some time to get it all together and ready to launch but I am so excited about the new direction of my work that I can hardly contain myself! I thank everyone for your patience and support.

No comments: